Sunday, January 24, 2010

Multitasking



See: I'm already making no effort with my pics (the one above is the first that comes up on a Google image search for 'multitasking').

Crap, isn't it?

Anyway, this year, now that I'm a bit settled / stuck in a rut, and what with the economy improving and all, I've started to take on a bit of work based on my previous experience. A bit of cash will be nice and it makes me feel like a grown up again. I've snagged a chunk of research work as a visiting fellow in the local university and am working with a professional services firm (as it were) to help out with a few management consulting projects in the CBD. Not sure whether this work will detract from my strict flash card-based exam technique, but so far I've gone well enough and frankly I quite like having a CV without a four / five year medical school-shaped gap in it.

I've also had conversations regarding going back to the bench for some wet science. I'm in two minds about this. On the one hand, it would be nice to maintain a bit of momentum on the (hard) science side: may help my clinical career although I have published ok over the years so I'm not sure what that would prove. On the other, it was my dislike for bench science (or rather, the crap career structure surrounding bench science) that led me to leave altogether ten or more years ago.

The clincher may be how much time I can spare. There's also a financial consideration of what is the best use of time plus the fact that I would like to use this highly unusual career break to see as much of my family as possible.

We'll see... perhaps the two small roles are fine as they stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment